Thank you to Grey Horse Matters for the following questions!
1. How old were you when you first started riding? A few times on my cousin’s horse when I was 2 or 3, but first started taking lessons at 12.
2. First horse ridden: Novet, my cousin’s grade mare
3. First horse trotted on: Shadow, a sweet 15.3hh black and white tobiano paint mare. Owned by one of my parent’s friends.
4. First horse cantered on: Shadow
5. First Horse fallen off of: Gammon a 16.2hh Friesian Cross, we were out cantering on the trail in a group for my lesson and the horse in the back panicked because he was last and bucked his rider off, which caused the rider’s horse behind me to take off and dump his rider, and poor Gammon stumbled on some uneven ground to get out of the way and off I went!
6. Most recent horse fallen off of: thankfully that would still be Gammon
7. Most terrifying fall: I rolled out of the fall quite well otherwise I might have been trampled by the horse that spooked behind me.
8. First horse jumped with: I have never jumped.
9. First horse who ran away with you: Shadow, in the pasture she took the bit and booked it back to the barn. I love her anyway.
10. First horse that scared the crap out of you: probably Shadow, I was really novice when she took off on me.
11. First horse shown : Tezra- an arabian-cross mare at camp show.
12. First horse to win a class with: Never won a class. Won red light green light at a fun show one time…that’s right, I said it.
13. Do you/have you taken lessons: Yes, currently.
14. First horse you ever rode bareback: Buddy, a therapy horse at We Can Ride.
15. First horse trail ridden with: gosh who knows…there were so many
16. Current Barn name: (?)
17. Do you ride English or western?: English now, but I used to ride Western.
18. First Horse to place at a show with: Tezra at a camp show- 2nd in Key Hole and 5th in Pole Bending
19. Ever been to horse camp?: Yes! True Love Arabians
20. Ever been to a riding clinic? yes, only to watch
21. Ridden sidesaddle? nope
22. First horse leased: Never leased
23. Last Horse Leased:
24. Highest ribbon in a show: 2nd at the True Love Arabian Camp Show
25. Ever been to an ‘A’ rated show?: no
26. Ever competed in pony games/relay races?: at horse camp
27. Ever fallen off at a show: no
28. Do you ride Hunter/Jumpers?: no
29. Have you ever barrel raced? yes, many times (non-competitively)
30. Ever done pole bending?: Yes
31. Favorite gait: canter
32. Ever cantered bareback?: no
33. Have you ever done dressage?: yes, I currently take lessons in dressage.
34. Have you ever evented?: No.
35. Have you ever mucked a stall?: No, but in my defense it has not been for lack of want- when I was 13 I would have given my left arm to clean stalls.
36. Ever been bucked off?: No.
37. Ever been on a horse that reared? no
38. Horses or ponies. Horses
39. Do you wear a helmet?: Always
40. What’s the highest you’ve jumped: never jumped
41. Have you ever ridden at night?: yes
42. Do you watch horsey television shows?: Whenever they’re on
43. Have you ever been seriously hurt/injured from a fall?: No
44. Most falls in one lesson: 1, I have only ever fallen once.
45. Do you ride in an arena/ring?: usually
46. Have you ever been trampled by a horse?: No, but almost.
47. Have you ever been bitten?: Yes, many a time.
48. Ever had your foot stepped on by a horse?: Yes.
49: Favorite riding moment: free cantering on the beach at sunrise in the Dominican Republic, I was 13 and it was absolutely beautiful.
50. Most fun horse you’ve ridden: This is tough, I loved Shadow and she always took good care of me but I guess I’d have to say either Comet or Oz. Comet is an arabian-cross at my dressage barn that rides like a sports car and Oz is kind of the opposite- he is a plucky fjord who is as sweet as they come and a joy to ride.