These are some of the thoughts that randomly pop in my head when I am riding someone else’s horse. I’ve only been in this situation a few times where I have ridden a horse that didn’t belong to my instructor or a friend of mine. I haven’t had a good opportunity to ask some of these questions out loud because I don’t see Louie’s owner a lot and obviously, some, I would never actually ask out loud but it doesn’t mean that I am not curious!
- What agreement exists between our instructor and you that allows me to do this?
- Does it secretly bother you or please you when I show affection to your horse?
- What about if I take pictures of him/her?
- Crap. My bad riding isn’t going to ruin your horse, right?
- Would it be weird if I cleaned your tack? Bought some new brushing boots?
- Can I give your horse treats? What kind does he/she like the best?
- How much did you pay for your horse?
- Could we be friends? or is that weird? It was that way for me before and it was really nice.
- What happens if your horse gets hurt- is there another one I could ride?
- I wonder how you look when you ride.
- Could I come watch you ride your horse?
- Thank you for letting me ride your horse.
- Was it a hard decision to let your horse be used for schooling? I bet it was…
- I wonder how many other people ride your horse each week.
- What would you think if you read my blog?
ah yes, I love the smell of over-thinking in the morning!
I know this is kind of a fluff post but maybe I will have something more interesting to say after my lesson tonight. Stay warm out there!