Spoke Too Soon

I reflected positively on the past two weeks of progress we have made and started celebrating the tapering off of ulcer meds…maybe a touch too soon. The horse-ownership gods saw fit to bless me with TWO NEW ailments to knock me down off of my boastful high horse. Last Monday when I went out to the barn Bravo had a runny nose. The discharge was not a great color and only coming from one nostril. I didn’t like the look of it at all but to avoid overreacting I thought I would see if it cleared up in the next couple of days. Long story short, it did not, so I called the vet and made an appointment for Monday (today) which was the earliest they could fit me in on a non-emergency basis.




Friday night after work I headed out to the barn to check on Bravo. He still had his runny nose but was also still not showing any other symptoms- fairly perky, still eating great, no labored breathing or coughing, clear eyes. My workout plan for the night was going to be an in-hand proprioception exercise walking over raised poles. I took him out, picked his feet, and headed towards the indoor arena which, astonishingly, we had all to ourselves. We did a lap and he seemed a little off. I turned and watched him walk a little and he took some freakishly wobbly steps with his hind and I knew something was wrong. I looked him up and down feeling for heat, checking for cuts or bumps, but found nothing. I made him walk a little more and he was now limping quite badly. Panicking and assuming my darling lemon of a horse had somehow permanently injured himself I called the vet back and told them I needed him to be seen immediately.

The vet came out and watched me walk Bravo around the gravel lot. We took him into the round pen and made him trot out which he did rather pathetically. The vet then remarked “you got me all excited, I thought you had something neurological going on with the call notes I got- I think you’re looking at a hoof abscess here.” This is the same vet with the questionable bedside manner- I think he’s just got a very odd sense of humor. He flexed him and Bravo didn’t even flinch or look the slightest bit more uncomfortable so he felt confident the foot was the issue. Cue sigh of relief.

He was sensitive to the hoof testers but nothing looked obvious. He decided not to go digging on the off chance that maybe it was just a stone bruise so he wrapped it up with some animalintex and set me to the task of soaking, wrapping, and monitoring it over the weekend.

By this time, Bravo’s nose was running again and the vet got a little more serious. “That’s not clear discharge.” All I could think was whoever they’ve got taking call notes at the office isn’t helping me out much! He took some blood, gave him some painkiller for his foot, and started him on an antibiotic.




“I’m going to give you a bottle of 100 pills to get him through the weekend and then you can come pick up a 500 count on Monday.” Great.

I ultimately didn’t have time for a pity party this weekend as I spent nearly the whole time out at the barn either wrapping, treating, soaking, or trying unsuccessfully to sneak medications into my horse. I learned a lot about myself. I cursed a lot. Bravo was a…we’ll just say…non-compliant patient for the majority of the doctoring. Having never done some of this stuff myself previously- there was a steep learning curve.




There were some silver linings to the vet visit. My vet is still totally intrigued with and loves Bravo. He desperately wants to know his breeding and generally thinks he’s a cool horse. He also pointed to his hooves and said, “that line, is the day you brought him home and he actually started getting proper nutrition.” Uh yes, I will take that compliment. It starts to feel more and more everyday like I rescued this horse when I bought him and that makes me feel really good. Helping my five year old through these rough patches is frustrating and exhausting but seeing him develop keeps me encouraged and hopeful. I think he’s going to be something really great for me someday if we can just get through these…er…growing pains.




Anybody got any good tricks for getting your horse to take bute? How about for hiding meds in food? He’s been good with the SMZs so far, but just in case…tell me your tricks!

10 thoughts on “Spoke Too Soon

  1. OMG he looks like a different horse than when you got him! Nicely done!
    Applesauce can be your friend, with pills mashed into it. I usually mash pills in applesauce and then syringe into back of mouth.. And get applesauce everywhere….

    • Thank you! He’s come a long way in 6mo and we have plenty more work to do. So far applesauce has made him flehmen a lot but he’s hit or miss on actually swallowing it. Lol So we are also on team Applesauce Everywhere.

  2. At the college we would take a giant syringe, fill it with SMZs, then fill it with water and let them disintegrate (which they do, quickly). Then the good patients got that syringed over their food and the bad ones got it squirted straight into their mouths. I’ve heard good things about applesauce too but knock on wood don’t have any real world experience with giving meds after college.

    • He’s a good patient for SMZs then since he gobbles it up on his grain and licks the bowl. He’s a BAD patient for all things hind hoof related. Soaking? HELL NO! Scary! Wrapping? Omg scary! Almost everything that touches his back leg now is a horse killing monster. He says he only consents to the hoof pick and I better make it quick!

      • Funny you should mention that- I had a draft post about starting clicker training with him all queued up before all of this drama went down! I even went back and looked at that same post from JenJ. I do credit the clicker training as the only reason I can still easily pick out his hooves during all of this. You are right that he is a great candidate for it- he is food motivated and is picking it up really quickly! We are going to start incorporating it a lot more.

  3. I do the same as CobJockey — disintegrate into water and pour over food (a bran mash or soaked alfalfa pellets sometimes helps with this if you’re not at the barn during feeding time) and if that doesn’t work, I squirt it right into their mouth like a dewormer paste.

    • Bravo is terrible at paste so I’m happy he eats the pills dissolved on his grain. Bute has been another story… tonight I squirted bute on my bare hand and then shoved it in his mouth and smeared it on his tongue lol whatever works, right?!

Leave a Reply to Tracy Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s