Should we take bets if Bravo will make it a full sweep in one year? He has now produced abscesses in front left, left hind, and right hind hooves so all that’s left is front right and we….win?
Before I brought Bravo home I had never encountered or had to treat a hoof abscess. Sure, I had heard about them and several of you fellow bloggers have posted about them over the years but I thought they were a fairly rare phenomenon that seemed to only be an issue for thoroughbreds. I specifically shopped for NOT a thoroughbred for no other reason than they seemed to be higher maintenance creatures and I wasn’t all that skilled in horse doctoring. I patted myself on the back when I found Bravo because although he is a big boy, he had what I thought to be nice big legs and big hooves. When I got him home to my barn and got a better look at the work I had in front of me to re-feed his underweight, still growing body, other people at my barn would even comment that “at least he’s got good hooves.”
Joke’s on me, I guess, because he isn’t a thoroughbred and although his feet are large and decently shaped, there’s a lot going on beneath the surface and it’s too soon to tell if this going to be a chronic issue for him or if better care/nutrition can make the difference.
Every horse owner should know how to wrap a hoof so at least I am now quite adept. My vet even commented on the high quality construction of my handmade duct tape boots. Bravo came up hopping lame on Monday, November 18th. I was slightly perplexed because I had ridden him on Sunday evening and we had what I thought was a pretty good ride. He stood quietly at the mounting block and acted like a pro despite a very full arena. Sure, he was a little behind my leg and balky- that seems to be his thing starting out but we worked through it and he was going around just fine. We definitely don’t have power steering yet, but we didn’t look half bad. Some of that reluctance to go forward could have been that brewing abscess all along.
My barn owner managed to drag him back in from his field and I came out that night to poultice and wrap his hoof. We DON’T soak. He barely lets me futz with it enough to wrap it and loses his mind if anything resembling a bucket, water, or a bag go near his back legs. I filled a diaper with Epsom salt, warm water, and a splash of sore-no-more sauce and very quickly wrapped that on him. After a couple days of re-wrapping and poulticing, he was still barely willing to put weight on it, was all stocked up, and feeling pretty sorry for himself so I called and made an appointment with the vet.
This vet appointment was freaking traumatic for both of us. As soon as the vet hit a sensitive part of his foot with the hoof testers, Bravo started to lose it. He just wanted to peace right out of there and didn’t care if I was holding him or what else he would be plowing through on his way out, he was just DONE. It was all too much for his baby brain. Four days cooped up in his stall, the scary vet who makes his foot hurt- nope. bye. The vet had to sedate him. And then it wasn’t enough so he had to sedate him again. Meanwhile, by this time he had dragged me around the barn, nervous pooped and then trampled it with his freshly dug out abscess foot, knocked over a bucket of water the vet was going to use to clean his shit foot, tried to kick the vet, and nearly brought down the barn careening into walls to get away. It was unpleasant…
The vet proclaimed Bravo to be a big baby considering the abscess he found and drained wasn’t very big. We got it poulticed and re-wrapped and I gave him some bute while the sedation was still wearing off. Our pastures are mud pits right now but he needed to move so I had him turned out the next day. He came in without the wrap, hoof coated in mud, but in a much more sane mood. I washed, disinfected, and re-wrapped his hoof for five straight days. I figured we were in the clear- the fill in his leg dissipated, he was serviceably sound again, and the abscess site wasn’t draining anymore. I stuffed some hawthornes sole pack in the cavity on that Tuesday and left town for Thanksgiving.
On Thanksgiving I got another dreaded text from my barn owner that Bravo was hopping lame again on the same foot. uggghhhghh I asked her to keep him in until I got home. I was supposed to fly back home on Saturday morning but then I got stuck in the midwest snowstorm and had to change my flight to Monday. He mostly stayed in until I got back on Monday and I went straight to the barn from the airport. I arrived to this:
Well that explains the very short-lived “recovery” and probably also explains most of the theatrics from the vet visit. Is this horse a pansy or maybe was this massive gravel in there the whole time making things rather uncomfortable for him? I cleaned him up and started the process of poultice and wrapping all over again. I took photos to see the healing progress over the week.
Tuesday night after I rinsed the mud and picked the hoof, I notice the original abscess hole on the bottom of his hoof has re-opened and was draining again. Sigh… The coronary band blowout is looking much better and with fairly little maintenance seems to be healing alright. I don’t know whether this abscess tract is through and through or if these were separate pockets, but now I’m back to flushing the bottom cavity with banixx and then packing it with dry animalintex. Needless to say, the past four weeks have been exhausting. I really hope my buddy comes through this tough abscess so we can start back over with training, again, for like the hundredth time.